Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Birthday Intermission...


I know I said "to be continued", but I wanted to blog a little about my birthday :)
If you know my husband Bart, you know he's not much of a "celebrator".  He will go along with the crazy parties I come up with and be a good sport about it, but when it comes to holiday's or birthday's he's not one to put forth a lot of effort.  He had to share his birthday every year with his twin, so it was never a celebration just for him as a kid.  Heaven knows I have tried to make him feel special on his big day, (since birthday's are a big deal in my family & I love to celebrate every chance I get!)  But I was a few years too late- supposedly for MOST people birthday's loose their luster the older you get, and apparently he is one of them. 
Well, for the last several years (after trial by error) I learned I needed to plan my own birthday parties if I wanted one.  And I've had a lot of fun doing it!  But this year I felt a little sidetracked with other things going on in our lives and wasn't really in the mood to throw a big bash.  I was fine with the idea of just hanging out and going shopping for a gift (from Bart) with him.  There were a few things I NEEDED, which took priority over the things I might have WANTED.  I guess that part of aging never really goes away. 
I was really wanting a yummy cupcake for my birthday, but from past experiences of searching for an awesome bakery with my niece a few years ago I learned unless I wanted organic, sugar free, fat free, gluten free, etc.  I wasn't going to find it in this granola state.  So I looked online and found some super yummy cupcake recipes and made six different cupcakes I just had to try on my birthday!  They did turn out to be pretty good if I do say so myself!! 
They day started out great!  Bart woke me up excited to give me a great gift- one that I didn't think I really cared to have, but now that I do I LOVE it... and i4s  :)  Then Major and I went for a run and that was followed by an interesting but nice massage.  Took my time getting ready for the day & then Bart and I headed out on our adventure of shopping for a few things I needed/wanted.  He really spoiled me throughout the day & was so super sweet about shopping with me! (that in and of itself was a birthday gift!)
Towards the end of the afternoon, Bart kept talking about a restaurant close by that he was REALLY craving.  I didn't really have a preference, so whatever.  When we got there he had this look on his face... his "LIE FACE" I call it.  What was going on?  I had no expectations for the day, so I was completely clueless when we turned the corner & our close friends were all there to have dinner with us!  It was so fun to see everyone there! 
We all came back to the house, played "pin the princess crown in the castle closet", and ate lots of cake! 
It was a great day and I didn't plan a thing!  I think my sweet husband of almost twelve years has finally learned a very valuable lesson in this family!  He's so good to me and I'm the luckiest girl around!  Thanks Babe!!  And thanks to all my friends and family who helped make my day special!

3 comments:

Winn Family said...

ahhh, so sweet! I love that! Plus, I'm not a huge fan of surprise parties but one that starts at a restaurant is WAY GREAT! Then you don't have to feel like you need to mingle--you just get to have fun with your friends and eat really yummy food! Then games! Just wow. Love it! Way to be Bart!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISTY!!!

heidijogoody said...

You are too cute. I am so glad you had such a great birthday

Lacey said...

Lucky you!! Rob sounds like Bart in the way of celebrating! What a fun husband to plan a surprise for you! Glad you had a happy birthday!
BTW, its good to see you back on here. I still love reading other people's blogs...but don't update mine much anymore! Hope all is well! Loves!